Wondering which Booker shortlisted book to read? Look no further as we have the complete rundown on all six shortlisted titles. We’re joined by previous podcast guests Sarah Oliver and Phil Chaffee for a proper, no-holds-barred book club discussion. So listen in to find out the things we loved, and the things we didn’t, the books we thought deserved their place on the shortlist, and those that didn’t, and finally our pick to win the prize.
We also play a game of ‘Snog, Marry, Avoid’ with past Booker winners (‘snog’, you liked it, ‘marry’, you loved it, you would spend the rest of your life with it, ‘avoid’, you didn’t finish it, or you read it but you wish you hadn’t).
And finally we pick our favourites from past Booker winners, the ones we would choose above all the rest.
The Booker shortlist
- Burnt Sugar by Avni Doshi
- This Mournable Body by Tsitsi Dangerembgwa
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor
- The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste
- The New Wilderness by Diane Cook
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
- The Children’s Book by A. S. Byatt
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
Want to hear more from Sarah? Listen to episode 13 where she joined us to discuss sci-fi classic We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
Download a list of all past winners of the Booker and Booker International prizes, perfect for inspiration for your next book club read.
Browse this amazing series of Booker Readers’ Guides, so useful for book clubs. They have notes on every long- and shortlisted book going back to 2009.
When you buy books from Bookshop.org you are supporting local bookshops and you are supporting us.