Since the Covid Crisis went global, Laura’s book club has been working their way through That Glimpse of Truth: 100 of the Finest Short Stories Ever Written selected by the late literary agent David Miller. One short story, once a week, with a Zoom chat every Monday to discuss it.
But what did Laura’s book club make of it? Are short stories the way forward? Listen in, because like us, you might find short stories are the perfect way to fit fine literature into a busy life. And you too may discover ‘that glimpse of truth’ you didn’t even know you were looking for.
Looking for your next book club read? In our recommendations section at the end we come up with follow-on books we think your book club will love. In this episode we recommend:
- Too Much Happiness by Alice Munroe
- The Tenth of December by George Saunders
- Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
Stories from the collection mentioned on the show:
- ‘Mr Know-All’ by W. Somerset Maugham
- ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ by Edgar Allan Poe
- ‘The Children Stay’ by Alice Munro
- ‘D’Accord Baby’ by Hanif Kureishi
Listen in to episode 63 for our full book-club discussion of Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. To keep things interesting, we were joined by real-life rocket scientists and sci-fi fans Kristy and Ed.