Too often in the reading world we chase the latest new release. So, it was a great pleasure to interview Simon Thomas who specialises in seeking out books from the past.
We discuss his unusual take on a book club where he and like-minded book bloggers read and review books from a particular year in the last century. This interview is full of gems and some great book club suggestions, so have a pen ready at the end!
- Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield
- Merry Hall by Beverly Nichols
- Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym
- Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker
- The Museum of Cheats by Silvia Townsend Warner
- Little and Alva and Irva, both by Edward Carey
- Another Part of the Woods by Beryl Bainbridge
Next up for the Book of the Year Club is 1965 and it starts in April. Check out Simon’s website www.stuckinabook.com for more info.
You can also find him on Instagram @Simonedwardthomas and on Twitter @stuck_inabook.
And finally we recommend curling up for a listen to Simon’s own podcast, Tea or Books, in which he and his friend Rachel (Book Snob) debate the difficult decisions of reading and books.
When you buy books from bookshop.org you are supporting local bookshops, and supporting us.