From no formal education before the age of seventeen to a PhD from Cambridge ten years later, Tara Westover’s transformation is the stuff of Hollywood. And that’s before you learn about the violence and brainwashing that tainted her upbringing within her Mormon survivalist family.
Westover’s remarkable memoir, Educated, made Barack Obama’s summer reading list. But what did Laura’s book club make of it? Listen in to find out.
Plus we interview a book club who meet in the convivial surroundings of a seaside bakery. And finish with some great recommendations for your next book club read.
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance
- When I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant
- A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
- Lady Chatterly’s Lover by D. H. Lawrence
- Crudo by Olivia Laing
- The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson
Watch Tara Westover talking about Educated on The Ellen Show and stick with it till the end to find out why you’ll wish you’d been in that studio audience.
When you buy books from bookshop.org you are supporting local bookshops, and supporting us.